#tw : the following imagery can severely creep people out.
Terezi, to complement the one I did of Karkat a week ago, which was so unbelievably terrible I won’t even link to it. Basically I did pretty much the same thing except without making the same mistakes I did with Kk.
I…I honestly didn’t intend for her to look this absolutely terrifying. I mean, I was shooting for a little creepy, because let’s face it, that’s who Terezi is. I don’t know how…this happened. Look, this was the image I was using as a reference. …She’s starting to creep me out a little, which is saying a lot since I’m the one who drew her. Eh.
So her horns look like paper tubes she stuck to her head, but overall I’m pretty happy with how it turned out.
In other news, happy 11/11 everybody! For both the reasons that I celebrate – the reason that makes today a national holiday and allowed me to take the time to make this freakish portrait in the first place, as well as the anniversary of the Alpha Kids’ entry into the game. Yeah yeah so long story short I love Homestuck probably a lot more than I let on blah, I was going to do a bunch of doodles celebrating both occasions plus a Skyrim-themed one because there’s that too, but meeehhhhh
Song is Bleed Like Me, which I can’t stick into this post directly because I’m a bankrupt hobo who didn’t pay for the space upgrade
My very first Lyricstuck! I’m so proud.
Sorry about how it only starts at the second verse, I only drew the relevant parts. So just sort of…wait out the two extra verses? Uh.
Song is paraphrased in some places for obvious reasons. Not much though, if I rewrote it excessively it would be like cheating. It would be cheating. You have no idea how much I wanted to write in “TG” instead of “JT”.
Anyway. Really pleased with how this turned out, I was basically messing around in Photoshop, having finally gained access to the latest version, and it kinda snowballed. This is…possibly the best thing I’ve painted, ever? *shrug* I’m not counting.
Yes! Hello! Been a while. Again.
Anywayyyyy, I was nominated for this absurdly-named award by the excellent writer Erin over at the Upstairs Archives. I’m supposed to answer fifteen questions then nominate a bunch of other people, but unfortunately, as is the fate of nigh all awards to spiral their way into the dead and dusty abyss that is my interest in such matters, I won’t be nominating anyone. Because. Just…Because.
No picture for this one, sooo…Here’s a thing I did, literally right after typing that ellipsis.
Erin nominated me for my artwork, so that is what I am giving you today. GAZE UPON ITS MAGNIFICENCE.
1) If society was clipped up Divergent-style and you had to pick a faction, which of these factions would you choose: Truth Seekers (scholars, archaeologists and explorers), Protectors (military and police forces), Aristocracy (leaders and rulers), or Underworld (spies, black-ops units)?
Totally the Truth dudes. I’ve never seen Divergent (and have no intention of doing so), but knowledge and truth is pretty much all I hold sacred. Kickass Spy Dudes come in close second, though.
2) Are you more like Sherlock or Mycroft Holmes? (Be honest and objective! :-P)
Not sure. I don’t enjoy dealing with people too much, and I tend to show off, but I’m also no hero-type.
3) For the library aficionados, what book do you not own that you would like to read again?
Hmm. I don’t rent books out much from libraries, but of the ones I have, definitely either Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency (Douglas Adams, yessssss), American Gods (classic Neil Gaiman) or Anansi Boys (American Gods sequel/spinoff).
4) If you could re-write any pop culture catchphrase, which one would you re-write and what would it mean in its new form? ;-)
In times of war, every time land would be captured, the side doing the capturing would have to announce that “all your base are belong to us”. Fundamental rule of war etiquette.
5) What’s your number one underdeveloped character in a published work? (I mean, who is your favorite character that you wish the author had developed more?)
My first thought was, “I wish we’d seen more of Legolas and Gimli’s adventures post-War of the Ring”, but there are so many possible answers to that question…
6) Frozen or Rise of the Guardians? Why?
Rise of the Guardians, because it was superior in so many ways…To name a few, in no particular order: the characters were far more original and likeable; the villain wasn’t a walking, breathing cliché; the artwork and animation was more stylistically appropriate and pleasing; the whole concept of a team of childhood legends is fantastic, and reminds me of Pratchett’s Hogfather; in fact, the entire film had a Pratchetty sort of feel to it…
7)Tangled or Brave? Why?
I actually didn’t particularly enjoy either of those films – I’m not much of a Disney person. They both had cringe-inducing plot hacks and generic asinine princess protagonists. I did like the whole “glowy” atmosphere Tangled had (for lack of a better adjective, or a real one for that matter); but I’m going to have to go with Brave, because Celts.
8) Do you prefer birdwatching or stargazing? Why?
Stargazing. I’ve never actually been birdwatching, but that’s for a reason. It’s far more self-fulfilling to lie back and stare up at an empty dome punctured by tiny points of light – I love getting lost in the vastness of it all. This summer, we were in New Zealand, which is one of the best parts of the planet from which to stargaze. The stars aren’t so much like points in the sky as twisting swathes of white gossamer.
9)Favorite Lion King character and song!
Disney again? I’m sensing a trend.
When I was little, I really like Timon, I guess because he was pretty much the only good guy who had any sort of control over the situation at any given time, despite being the comic relief character. Also because he was the witty sarcastic one, and also because he was ginger maybe? *shrug*
And as for song…I’m gonna go with Be Prepared. Think that one was my favourite as a kid too.
10) When you’re about to leave the house, what’s the first thing you grab?
Notebook notebook notebook notebook notebook
I tend not to lave the house without at least two.
11) Do you prefer the forest, mountains, or ocean?
Can I have a forest on a mountain slope? No? Hmm. That makes it tough.
I guess forest if it’s an old, deciduous forest – hang on, let me scribble something amazing again -
That is EXACTLY the kind of forest I was talking about
…And mountain I guess if they were like the Alps, because the Alps rock.
12) Do you sing in the shower?
Used to. Then we moved into an apartment.
it echoes in there
13) Gardening or fiber crafts (sewing, knitting, embroidery, crochet) or sports? Favorite sport?
Knitting. I…I don’t get out much.
14) Do you have a particular official spot where you hang out with friends? (Mine was the library in my hometown. Now it looks like being Barnes&Noble, since it’s close to the university…)
Like I said, I don’t get out much, so mostly when I hang out with my friends it’s on the highschool grounds somewhere, usually the café because they make the best pretzels.
15) Apples, oranges, grapes, or strawberries?
I guess if the question is “which of these is your favourite fruit”, I’d have to go with Anything But Grapes. Because they have the worst of seeds, not as annoying as pomegranates but close.
Aaaaaand, to make up for not nominating anyone, I’ll go ahead and answer a bunch of questions Erin was asked, because I don’t care enough to make up for it properly.
1) What is your favorite TV show?
Doctor Who, but Star Trek: The Next Generation and Firefly come close.
2) First song that pops into your head right now?
Candles and Clockwork. No idea why.
3) What are three guilty pleasures of yours?
Instant noodle cups, drawing my friends when they’re not looking, reading like fifty webcomics instead of doing any actual work.
4) Chipotle, Subway, Taco Bell, or McDonald’s?
Subway. I’ve only ever eaten at Subway and McDonald’s, but from what I’ve heard about the other two there isn’t much contest.
5) What is one thing that not many know about you?
Moths are my favourite insect. Did you know most people are freaked out by moths? I didn’t know that until we started studying their significance in I’m the King of the Castle in literature and I was the only one who spoke up.
6) If you could choose anyone, who would you pick as your mentor?
ANYONE? Out of ALL PLANES OF REALITY EVER?
7) If you had to change your first name, what would you change it to?
Huh. Names have never meant all that much to me, so I’m not entirely sure how to answer this question. Something like Orchid or Serenity, maybe. Dirk if I were a guy, because Dirk is such a great name, it’s a dagger and a name at the same time and blah blah blah trying to distract you so you don’t notice I’m not actually answering the question blah.
8) Where’s Waldo?
Behind you. Don’t look or he gets you.
9) What is your ideal boyfriend/girlfriend?
Glub, one of Those Questions. Okay, I guess “brains” would be pretty much my only absolutely mandatory criteria. After that…It really, really depends. (“Depends on what?” “Shut up.”)
10) What color socks are you wearing?
All my socks are black. No idea why.
11) Blue or Black pens?
Black. More professional, better to draw with, easier to scan if necessary. Also: a perfectly generic, neutral colour that works in any circumstance.
12) What’s the best book you ever read?
Lord of the Rings. No contest. (Put your hand down, Frank Herbert)
13) What would you choose to be your last meal?
One of Idunn’s golden apples from Norse mythology, which grant immortality.
14) If you were given the option to choose your death, how would you die?
On a Quest Bed.
None of you read Homestuck? None of you? Fine, here’s what happens when you die on your Quest Bed:
15) What is one thing you wish you’d never heard/learned?
That the average human eats roughly eight spiders per year, which crawl into your mouth and down your throat while you’re asleep.
So! There you have it! A close-up look at my deep intellect and grand artistic talent. Don’t you feel like you’ve just accomplished something?
Happy Halloween I guess,
P.S. Oh god how can these be so much fun to make
WOO finally finished this! Main Homestuck cast lineup, all wearing their starter tees. Or I don’t know what they’re really called, the t-shirts they start out in which have their respective symbols on them. These lineups are awesome, I’ll do some more sometime. Also, to clarify, because I’m pretty that none of you regular followers read Homestuck: the symbols in the background correspond to each characters’ God Tier attribute. By God Tier, I mean that each of them has a specific “role” or “station” (I forget what the real word is, you could drown in Homestuck’s vernacular) – they’re all the X of Y. In order, left to right:
- John Egbert, the Heir of Breath (hence the windy pattern)
- Rose Lalonde, the Seer of Light (hence the sunny pattern)
- Dave Strider, the Knight of Time (hence the cog thing)
- Jade Harley, the Witch of Space (hence the…actually that one makes no sense)
Hope that serves as an explanation of sorts to the uninitiated.
In any case, this was a bit of a tricky one, since I’m better at coming up with my own designs than working off of existing ones. It wasn’t as hard as most other times, as the characters are rendered in a rather simple manner – though as I already mentioned, I had trouble with Jade‘s interpretation.
The challenge was, surprisingly enough, mainly in the colours: the characters are rendered in black and white that’s the same link as before so don’t click it twice, which raises questions such as “Dave is clearly blond, but how blond should I make him?” or “Since Jade lives out in the middle of the pacific, how dark should her skin be?” (Turns out the answers were: “This blond” (lots of experimenting with this one, wish I’d saved screenshots, still not that happy with results) and “Not dark at all, actually. Maori!Jade looks weird.”)
So there you go. The Homestuck Beta Kids, outrageously in colour. Merry Christmas-In-August.
Nearly done the Thing I Said I Was Doing. As you can see, I completely redrew Jade’s face because, to be frank, it looked pretty goofy the first time around.
Something else you can tell if you look in the right hand corner is that I’ve completed the other three kids. Woo.
I’m doing a sort of step-by step thing with this one because I thought it might be interesting, I dunno. Anyway, there you go – half-coloured-face Jade.
I’ve been working on a character lineup of Homestuck‘s main cast. This is the…Whaddya call it? Base sketch? The outliney thingy you do before you start working on it. Anyway.
I think I might actually prefer this to the finished product, but there you go.
The lines are kind of thick and fuzzy because Photoshop automatically gives it a white background, so I managed to get a screenshot of what it looks like when I’m working on it.
Anyway, if you clicked any of those links you might be wondering why exactly I think this series is so awesome. Well, for starters, this. That right there. (Quite a bit of blood and rapidly flashing colours there, so if you’d rather avoid that, then this one is much, much tamer.) I realize it might dampen the impact to have no idea what’s going on, just…just look at how awesome everything is, and maybe for starters try and recognize the characters above? That’s all I’ve got to say for now.
Awards! How do I keep getting awards? I don’t think I’ve actually posting anything of any remote significance for the past couple months, yet these things keep popping up out of nowhere! Awwight, here goes. (Again, not nominating anyone because *obscene gesture* to other people.)
Anyway, here it is. In all its glory.
Oh, and it just occurred to me, but to show that I’m in the spirit of things here’s an appropriately sunny image.
Because you can never have enough Homestuck. Yes, I just completed the entire story thus far within the past week, and yes, it was glorious.
So! Standard procedure, five facts about yourself, and the answers to five questions. Of course, you’re supposed to come up with five questions ad nominees of your own, but as previously mentioned, *appropriate swearword* protocol.
1. The Homestuck orgy I mentioned? Fact number one.
2. I’m gonna cheat and make 2 about Homestuck as well, cause then I don’t have to think so hard. Bottom line: the Strider brothers are objectively the best. It is an immutable fact of the universe.
3. There must be a word for what colour my eyes are. I’m just not finding any. Ochre? Hmmmm.
4. Life On Mars? is not a tough piece on the piano. I thought it would be, but…K, not really sure where I’m going with this? Hmmmmmmmmmmm.
5. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Okay, I guess I’m doing another Homestuck thing. You know the thing I said about the Strider brothers? I favour one over the other. But I won’t say which, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHyeah it’s totally Dave, how do you people even care anyways.
Questions! This oughtta be good.
1. If you had to choose between the Doctor, Sherlock, Merlin, Luke Skywalker, Matthias, Jim Hawkins, and Sir Percy Blakeney to go on an unexpected and otherwise completely unpredictable adventure with, who would you choose?
Well, I don’t know who Matthias or Sir Blakewhatsit are, but I don’t think it matter because you basically just asked me wanna go mess around with bunch of pirates or travel literally anywhere in space and time, except for 1930’s Manhattan for some reason? Hrrmm yes let me give it a good long thinkoh for the love of EruTHE DOCTOR OKAY
2. Who would you be more likely to say “You’re weird!” (complete with exclamation point) to: Obi-Wan, Anakin, Sherlock, Watson, the Doctor, Merlin, or Halt? (If you would be most likely to say “You’re weird!” to Halt, then you have my undying respect. Either you are very brave, or just plain crazy.)
I don’t know who Halt is, but since nobody else on that list is weird I’m gonna go with Halt.
3. Do you wear socks to sleep in? (You’d better bet your fluffy bedsocks you do, young’un, wot?!)
are sleep socks…Is that a thing? Is that a thing that started being true? I mean, I wear socks to sleep like any sane person this far from the equator…Er. I have a feeling that’s not what the question was about.
4. What is the best plot you’ve ever had that originated in a dream? (Yes, a sleeping dream. Daydreams don’t qualify. Sorry, Sir Percy.)
I don’t remember most of my dreams. I know that in a particularly recent awesome one I kicked a whole lot of ass and delivered a few dream one-liners, but I have absolutely no recollection of it.
5. Have you ever been to Boston in the fall?
Uuurrrgghhhhghgh. Veggie Tales? Really? Have we truly, as a species, stooped this low?
Fine. As far as I know, No, I have never been to Boston. That’s not definite, though, because at the time I was born my parents were living in…that general vicinity, not saying where…So maybe? Iono.
And now, since I have already displayed Sportsmanship with the Sun-Related Paraphernalia earlier, I will make up for not nominating anyone by Doing A Whole Lot Of Other Stuff With Questions. Namely, answering the question my nominator was asked, and asking a few for the general public of y’all. So.
1. You’ve got one day left of your life. What would you want to do?
Find out why. Fix that. Achieve immortality. Ride into the sunset on a frickin’ rocket board, yo.
2. Pirates or ninjas, and why?
It has always been ninjas, without question. They are just infinitely cooler. I guess stealth has always been a thing with me? Even in Skyrim, the first skill I max out is stealth. Also, if I had to make a list of my top whatever favourite swords, katanas would definitely be in there somewhere. *Homestuck link related to katanas*
3, If you were turned into one of the Avengers, which one would you be most like?
If we go with literal similarities, then I probably resemble Black Widow the most, because I’m female, and also the aforementioned stealth thing. I am also fond of martial-arts style ass kicking. Heads up, that’s the exact same link as just now.
If I got to pick, though? I’d probably go with Thor, mostly because Norse mythology is my favourite. It’s just so awesome you guys
4. What are your top three favorite Bible characters, and why?
Aw, man, a favourites question. Hm. I’m assuming you mean besides Jesus? King David, because he kicks all kinds of ass, and also because he was pretty much the only one who kept his sh*t together and didn’t devolve into evil at any point, except for that one time he had that guy killed, but he felt bad about that like right away after.
Daniel is super awesome too, he’s like the Bible’s Gandhi or something, haha I’m not making any sense am I.
I guess Enoch, because he has a cool name and basically never died ever. Yes, those were completely arbitrary reasons, I hate picking favourites okay? Uh. Except, you know, with the whole Strider thing earlier. Disregard direct contradictions of my own declarations.
5.(I’m going to be evil, too) What is your favorite book?
OH NOES HOW WILL I EVER FIND THE ANSWjust kidding you guys it’s lord of the rings
And now! I will ask five questions, as per my former bargain, for anybody to answer as they please, ’cause hey it’s like flippin’ Christmas all up in here, maybe there’ll be free apple juice at the end. Or maybe we’ll all get cake. X2 SUPER REFERENCE COMBO YEEEAAHH
1. Norse gods! If you were a Norse god, which one would you be? (Me, I guess I’d probably be Iduna, all chillin’ with my magic apples yo and not givin’ a carp) (that was dumb)
2. Back to Homestuck, because try as I might I can’t stop thinking about it. I’m not actually trying anyway. I’m am at this moment listening to the soundtrack and nodding my head and stuff. Anyway, if you were a superhero, would you want:
-Windy Powers (total control over the wind, plus the ability to become wind any time you wanted, plus any other uses for windy powers you can think of)
-Lighty Powers (control over light I guess? I don’t really know how Rose’s powers work so actually skip this one) (I think it means you’re a guide-type thing?)
-Timey Powers (wibbly wobbly, timey wimey. As much time travel as you want, as long as you’re able to keep stable time loops) (X3 SUPER REFERENCE COMBO HECK YES)
-Spacey Powers (shrink stuff, grow stuff, telekinesis)
-Lifey Powers (resurrect anyone, once per person, as long as you’re within range)
-Voidey Powers (pull basically anything out of the void of possibility and into reality, but it’s really hard to get the hang of and the more complex the item the harder it is to pull through) (also invisibility)
-Hearty Powers (Dirk’s title as the “Prince of Heart” could loosely be translated as “Devourer of Souls”. Check it out. Devourer. Of. Souls.) (it kinda takes a while though, so it’s not super practical it the heat of battle)
-Hopey Powers (the power of hope and friendship and love and no seriously I have no idea what Jake’s powers really do, disregard again)
So pick two of those powers, one from 2. and one from 3. , except I guess Light and Hope because I still have no gorram clue what those do. X4 SUPER REFERENCE COMBO AWW YEEEESSSSSS
4. What made you stumble across my untidy little blogspace in the fist place?
5. There is no question five. I am altering the deal. Pray I do not alter it further. X5 QUINTUPLE KICKASS REFERENCE SUPERCOMBO TABLE FLIPPIN’ YEAH
(If you want my answer to question 2/3, I think I’d either pick Time/Heart, and not just because those are the Strider powers (soul stealing is another cool thing I like to do in Skyrim, and time travel is just the best), or Space/Void because that seems to be the most practical combination (summon a little rock ’cause it’s easy, then make it huge and drop on an army)(actually why don’t Jade and Roxy do exactly that? If I see that happen I will be so thrilled))